The regulations require the BP Complex to provide information to contractors, warning them of the possible hazards that exist while completing a work assignment. The requirements relating to contractors are the following:
- The BP contact person specifying the duties of the contractor's employees is responsible for identifying and informing the contractor of those areas where exposure to hazardous chemicals may occur.
- Contractors will be informed of the hazards they may encounter at the Complex and provided with appropriate SDS by the BP contact person.
- Contractors are responsible for training their employees on Hazard Communication.
- Contractors must supply SDS sheets for all chemicals that they bring on-site to the BP contact.
- As with any chemical, it is preferred that quantities stored and used be maintained at minimum workable levels.
- Contractors entering areas of the facility covered by OSHA PSM regulations have additional requirements detailed in that area’s PSM program.